You won’t believe these stunning facts backed by research.
EMF can make your body sick! EMF can cause fatigue, agitation, difficulty focusing, headaches, anxiety, or a foggy brain. EMF can produce more than 40 symptoms that underlie many conditions that reduce the quality of your life or facilitate life-threatening diseases such as cancer. This is just the beginning of the damage EMF can do to your body. Your immune system is constantly fighting the EMF radiation in your life.
Imagine this: you work at a computer for hours and gradually feel fatigued and agitated. You have difficulty focusing, which manifests as a headache, anxiety, or a foggy brain! You might think it’s the job, but there may be more to it. Next, you come home one night to find a Smart Meter installed while you were at work. But don’t think much about it. That night you sleep poorly. You wake up with a headache and wonder if there’s a connection. Your building gets a new high-speed Wi-Fi system, or they put an antenna on the roof. You start having more concentration issues, getting colds more often, or feeling frustrated and fatigued. These are scenarios of ways EMF may be negatively affecting your body!
Increased EMF exposure has been related to an increase in cancer and other health problems. The evidence is mounting that exposure to EMF radiation can trigger a physical response in your body, often at a cellular level. This means you will not be aware of incremental damage to your cells or overall health and well-being until you finally experience symptoms. Often a person has no idea cancer is developing in their body until mysterious symptoms prompt them to visit a doctor. It’s cumulative and slow.
How else can EMF affect your body?
The BioInitiative Report1 tells us EMF can affect your cells and tissues, cause birth defects, infertility, brain and cranial bone development, DNA damage, repair capacity, immune system functioning, autoimmune diseases, cancer, and even behavior problems. Smart Homes, smart meters, remotes, and Wi-Fi permeate our environment, exposing us to a huge amount of EMF.
What are EMFs?
EMFs are energy waves that include both electrical and magnetic components. They create an electromagnetic field. The magnetic component is called Electromagnetic Radiation. It is generated when electricity flows. All matter in the Universe creates some form of electromagnetic radiation. This includes stars, asteroids, the sun, our earth, buildings, electricity, humans, plants – everything!
Think about your home. Anything electrical or battery-operated creates EMFs. This will include your home wiring, TVs, computers, remote controls, Wi-Fi…. all your electronics.
Electric powerlines, electronic equipment, powerlines, and appliances also create EMFs. Everything you experience is from energy waves or EMFs interacting with your body! Today 90% of the world’s population2 has access to electricity. This means that 90% of us are affected by the EMFs created by electricity and electrically powered devices.
Types of EMFs
There are two major types of EMFs:
These two categories represent different forms of EMF radiation that differ in frequency and wavelength.
Ionizing or High-energy EMF
Ionizing EMFs generate so much energy they dislodge an electron from an atom. This means the energy can affect cells on an atomic level, damaging your DNA and other cells, often leading to cancer. This is referred to as high-energy radiation.
Examples of ionizing radiation:
- Radioactive sources
- Ultraviolet light
- Bone scans
- Gamma rays (from stars, etc.).
A sunburn is a good example of too much UV light.
Ionizing frequencies are much faster than non-ionizing frequencies. Until recently, scientists thought ionizing EMF radiation frequencies were the only type of EMF that could harm the body. (Diagram3)
Non-ionizing energy cannot remove electrons but can still move atoms at low intensities.
There are three types of non-ionizing EMFs that affect us:
- ELF or Extreme Low-Frequency EMFs: ELF refers to extremely low-frequency radiation. It has the slowest, longest energy frequencies and is created by electricity, including power lines, transformers, and electrical appliances. The earth is also an LF EMF, but these EMFs are not harmful to humans. Nature can create very low EMFs34
- Fresh produce – up to 15Hz
- Fresh herbs – 12-27 Hz
- Essential Oils – range from 52Hz – 320 Hz
- Humans – 62-68 Hz during the day.
- Brain – range from 0.5 (deep sleep), 4 Hz (light sleep), 8-12 Hz (relaxed), 12-30 Hz (conscious, waking state), and 25-100Hz (learning, problem-solving)
- Fresh produce – up to 15Hz
- RF or Radio Frequency EMF is a significant source of EMF radiation in today’s environment. There are many sources of Radio Frequency Radiation; all referred to as EMFs. This group includes wireless technology, including radar, cell phone towers, microwave towers, and Wi-Fi-enabled devices, including tablets, laptops, cell phones, DECT phones, Bluetooth-enabled devices, and Wi-Fi routers.
- Dirty Electricity is another type of non-ionizing radiation that is harmful. This term applies to the micro surges or harmonic distortions that superimpose themselves on top of clean electricity. Your local powerlines deliver dirty electricity to your breaker box, routing through all your home wiring. Electronic devices and appliances create dirty electricity simply by being plugged in as well as when they are in use. Solar and wind power are clean direct current power until an inverter is used to change the DC into the AC your breaker panel requires. Most of us are never told that these “clean” energies are ONLY clean until the conversion.
Non-Ionizing Artificially created EMFs
Let’s contrast these low frequencies with artificial frequencies.
All electronics, cell phones, tablets, Wi-Fi, Smart Meters, and internet frequencies such as 4G and 5G produce EMF. Electric powerlines, indoor lighting, electrical appliances, and medical testing equipment, including x-rays, MRIs, and cat scans, create EMF. 4,5
Standard frequencies you are exposed to:
- TV and radio: 3,000 Hz or (3000 CPS/cycles per second)
- Cell phone frequencies: 700 -2300 MHz or millions of CPS
- 4G – 5G Networks: These include 3G to 5G, ranging from 1 – 40 GHz (billions of cps)
- Wi-Fi: 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, 6 GHz (billions of cps)
- Smart Meters – 902 and 2.4GHz (billions of cps)
How are EMFs measured?
EMFs (Electromagnetic Fields) are measured by their radio frequency in units of gauss.
- Radio Frequency – RF radiation – measured in mW/cm2 or Volts per meter (V/m) measures the intensity of the field created by the radio frequency. This radiation is found around WiFi, laptops, tablets, cell towers, Bluetooth, Nest systems, smartphones, and more. RF is WiFi and Bluetooth signals. It always has a frequency. Some people can feel this frequency. Most don’t feel it, but do k
- Electric Field – measured in volts/meter (V/m). This measures the strength of the field – The electric field exists wherever electricity is in use, and it is always paired with the magnetic field. A battery or anything connected to a power cord will generate an electric field. Please note that electric fields have a frequency typically described in Hertz. One hertz equals one wave cycle per second. The earth’s frequency, called the Schumann Resonance, is 7.83 Hz, or cycles per second. Your cell phone ranges between 1.9-2.2 GHz or billions of cycles per second. The meter will measure the strength of the field, not in hertz, but in V/m. We can reliably predict that if you measure any electric field that has a high frequency, it will have a high V/m reading.
- Magnetic Field – measured in milligauss. The magnetic field will always appear with the electric field. They form around batteries, chargers, electric cords, powerlines, and generators.
Multipurpose Testing Meters
A multipurpose EMF meter will provide readings for all three aspects of EMF. Excellent multi-purpose meters that measure all three fields include the Trifield RFModel TF2 meter, Safe and Sound Pro II, or Safe and Sound Classic II.
Most meters (RF, magnetic field, and electric field) give reference values on the meter case or display for “slight, moderate, severe, or extreme” exposure levels. This may be indicated by colored zones, multicolored LEDs, or graphic symbols, such as plus and minus signs. More expensive meters give digital readings as well.
This chart gives you a broad overview of how broad the EMF spectrum is on our Earth, starting with very slow frequencies and low EMF to the highest and most intense EMF frequencies.
What level of EMF is harmful?
EMFs are harmful when exposure is repetitive and strong enough to begin causing biological effects.
The BioIniative Report has set safety standards of 3 – 6 μW/m² or 0.000.3 – 0.000,6 μW/cm² (Peak)* In 2000, Cindy Sage recommends a safe range of 0.1 – 10 μW/cm². This is measuring microwatts per square meter or square centimeter. The Building Biology Precautionary Guidelines in your sleeping area should be less than 0.0006 V/m. Readings of 0.61 up to 0.614 are of severe concern, and any reading over 0.614 is an extreme concern.
The numbers can be intimidating, but if you use a high-quality RF meter that provides colored cues that summarize if an area or device is safe – of concern or beyond acceptable safety standards, you don’t have to focus on numbers. The Safe and Sound Classic II meter provides this type of useful information.
Your body can also be a guide for you. If you start feeling any symptoms from EMF exposure, this tells you that you need to remove yourself from the source of EMF. EMF-sensitive people frequently get headaches, feel pressure in their head or body, and get tingling sensations.
The good news is that your meter will inform you when harmful EMFs are in your direct vicinity or coming from a device.
Are their published guidelines?
There are published guidelines, but many electrosensitive people do not find they apply to them. The World Health Organization uses guidelines from the International Commission of Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP).6 The above recommendation of The BioInitiative Report1, 3 – 6 μW/m² or 0.000,3 – 0.000,6 μW/cm² (Peak) uses results from more than 2000 EMF studies and the Building Biology Precautionary Guidelines.
Can an RF meter tell me if my EMF exposure is too high?
Yes, a high-quality RF meter can tell you if your EMF exposure is too high. We have recommended Trifield RFModel TF2 meter, Safe and Sound Pro II, or Safe and Sound Classic II.
An RF meter can show you how much EMF comes from a wireless device such as a laptop, your phone, a WiFi Bluetooth speaker, or your Firestick. The closer you get to the device, the higher the reading will be. A Trifield meter will provide this kind of information to you. Both Safe and Sound meters will indicate levels of exposure using colored lights.
There are also ambient levels of EMF radiation in many environments, be it indoor or outdoor. Your neighbor may have a powerful WiFi router, or a cell tower may be so close to your home that you are receiving radiation as signals pass through your home. Use the meter to determine what areas in your home need EMF protection.
How does EMF radiation affect human health?
EMF affects human health by producing cellular changes in your body, including your brain. Animals, plants, and all living things are affected by EMF radiation in varying degrees.
The BioInitiative Report summarizes the human health issues from EMF radiation.
“Bioeffects are clearly established and occur at very low levels of exposure to electromagnetic fields and radiofrequency radiation. Bioeffects can occur in the first few minutes at levels associated with cell and cordless phone use… At least five new cell tower studies report bioeffects in the ranges of 0.003 to 0.05 μW/cm2.”
Furthermore, if you have become electromagnetically sensitive, then even the slightest exposure can create a reaction in your body. So, the answer to “what level of EMF is harmful” depends on your sensitivity and exposure levels.
As early as 2018, an NIH pub med.gov7 publication entitled “Thermal and non-thermal health effects of low-intensity non-ionizing radiation: An international perspective” cited research studies that provide evidence that “excessive exposure to mobile phone-frequencies over long periods increases the risk of brain cancer both in humans and animals.” This published article referenced research studies showing gene expression alteration and DNA damage. There is increasing evidence that prolonged exposure to EMF radiation from your phone can trigger electromagnetic hypersensitivity, also known as “microwave illness.”
Many symptoms are detailed in the most famous, definitive study available to the public, the BioInitiative Report8. Updated in May 2022, more than 2000 studies found specific health-damaging effects on humans and animals.
Symptoms the BioInitiative Report Links to EMF Exposure
The BioInititiave Report has summarized numerous studies in a comprehensive PDF entitled “Reported Biological Effects from Radiofrequency Radiation at Low-Intensity Exposure9 (Cell tower, WiFi, Wireless Laptop and Smart Meter RF Frequencies). The report details substantiation for the following observed effects from exposure to EMF radiofrequency radiation:
- Fatigue and Chronic Fatigue
- Birth Defects and Genetic problems – Abnormal gene transcription
- DNA Damage – Genotoxicity and double-strand DNA damage
- DNA Repair Issues – Chromatin Condensation and loss of DNA repair capacity in human stem cells
- Cell Nutrition Affected – (which leads to health problems) Stress proteins being caused by EMF exposure (see article)
- Reduced Immune Functioning – Reduction of free-radical scavengers
- Illness – autoimmune diseases – Neurotoxicity in humans and animals
- Cancer – Carcinogenicity (cancer) in humans
- Infertility – Serious impacts on human and animal sperm morphology and function
EMF Radiation also can affect human health in the area of emotions:
- Irritability and frustration
- Memory changes
- Issues with attention and focus
- Behavior Problems – Effects on offspring behavior (ADD, ADHD, Autism Spectrum)
What does EMF do to your brain?
EMF has numerous health-damaging effects on your brain.
In a study done in 2004, scientists at Children’s Hospital & Regional Medical Center in Seattle linked early TV-watching habits with ADD/ADHD. Their study addressed only the nature of the visual stimulation that can disrupt brain development. While I completely agree with this analysis, the part missing for me is the effect of the electromagnetic radiation that these children were exposed to by sitting close to the TV.
In our EMF Exposure Quiz, we ask if people have issues with focus and concentration. A high percentage of people answer yes to this question. Additionally, the emotional issues we mentioned above are related to your brain. When your brain is constantly assaulted with EMF radiation, various neurotransmitters are released in amounts that trigger frustration, anxiety, and depression.
Various studies have indicated changes in neuroendocrine and neurotransmitters after exposure to non-thermal EMFs. The rapid release of voltage-gated calcium channels (VGCCs) can trigger the (unwanted) release of both neuroendocrine hormones and neurotransmitters. This decreases dopamine, serotonin, and phenylethylamine and increases norepinephrine and epinephrine. Bipolar disorders have been related to the VGCC mechanism, and mood stabilizers have been effective by blocking the VGCCs.
Sleep disorders have been associated with EMF exposure due to their ability to block melatonin.
Animals exposed to EMF exposure show an increase in cortisol.
In another comprehensive article, British physicist and ex-UK military specialist in Electronic Warfare, Dr. Barrie Tower, shared information on the emf.community.com website quoting MIT engineers regarding the human brain and EMF technology.
Dr. Tower’s point is that various frequencies can affect the brain11 without a person knowing anything is happening. The article is not for the faint-hearted. Effects he listed include disruptions to heartbeat, sleep, paranoia, depression, suicidal thoughts, no ability to relax, anger, manic behavior, inability to make decisions, confusion, and more. Let’s look at how your cell phone can affect your brain.
How Your Cell phone can affect your brain
Your cell phone can cause havoc in your brain!
Your body creates EMFs ranging from 10 to 100 cycles per second or 10-100 Hz. Think of it this way. We often vibrate at 8-10 cycles per second, also known as the Schumann Resonance. Let’s pretend we’re vibrating at 8-10 miles per hour.
Your cell phone creates EMFs 850 million cycles per second or 800 MHz. In our analogy, you are holding something to your head, moving 850 million miles per hour into your brain.
Can you imagine how your brain might consider this an assault? In a recent study, the EMF radiation from cell phones was shown to shorten attention span and sleep cycles12 and encourage violent or aggressive behavior.
Can EMF radiation cause cancer?
EMF radiation, according to many research studies, can cause cancer. Updated in 2022, the BioInitiative Report is the most comprehensive database relating EMF exposure to many health issues, including cancer.
Cancer has been associated with exposure to EMFs as early as 1979. Dr. Nancy Wertheimer, Epidemiologist, and Ed Leeper, Physicist, were among the very first researchers to find a higher-than-expected rate of leukemia in children living near high-current electrical wiring. In 1988, another New York State Department of Health study supported these findings. In a tribute to Wertheimer after her death in 2008, Microwave News said, “Wertheimer and Leeper’s final vindication came in 2001 when the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classified power-frequency magnetic fields as a possible human carcinogen based on a large body of epidemiological evidence, all stemming from Wertheimer and Leeper’s 1979 landmark paper. “A scientist rarely opens a whole field of research, which is what Nancy Wertheimer did,” Carpenter told Microwave News.” 13
When we started the BioElectric Shield Company in 1991, this study was the most powerful indictment of the possible damage EMFs could do to our bodies. In 2015, nearly 200 scientists worldwide signed an open letter to the United Nations urging them to create stricter regulations regarding safe levels of EMF from cellphones, Wi-Fi, and other EMF-emitting devices.
It was thought for years that non-ionizing radiation, produced by all the electronic devices we use today, along with Wi-Fi, and dirty electricity, could not produce cancer. Radiofrequency (RF) radiation includes radio waves and microwaves. If enough EMF RF radiation is absorbed, it can produce heat in the body. This can lead to burns and body tissue damage, according to the American Cancer Society14 They are admitting that some forms of RF can affect cells which eventually leads to the development of cancer.
In 2018, the National Toxicology Program exposed rats to EMF radio frequencies typically used in 2G and 3G cell phones. They concluded that there was clear evidence of the development of cancerous heart tumors.15 Although they reported that exposure was more than what a typical cell phone user would have, we are now, in December of 2022, dealing with 4G and 5G frequencies that are at higher frequencies.
The BioInititive Report has summarized numerous studies (highlighted in lavender) in a comprehensive PDF entitled “Reported Biological Effects from Radiofrequency Radiation at Low-Intensity Exposure16. (Cell tower, WiFi, Wireless Laptop, and Smart Meter RF Frequencies) listed in the general section on health effects includes specific references to EMFs and cancer.
What can EMF do to your body? As you can see, EMFs have far-reaching effects at the cellular level and more obvious effects that you may feel after exposure to EMF radiation. Effects appear to be cumulative. People with no issues with EMF can either gradually develop symptoms or, like some people, wake up with full-blown EMF sensitivity after an event such as installing a Smart Meter in their home or neighborhood.
Don’t just assume your Symptoms are Age, Stress, or Overload. You May be feeling the cumulative effects of EMF.
Many people experience the above symptoms singly or in combination, but they would never imagine it has anything to do with EMF. How often have you heard someone say, “I’m tired all the time.” or “I’m sure not concentrating like I used to.” Etc. Then they follow that up with, “Well, I am getting older (or stressed or overworked)” I’m sure we’ve all done it.
These symptoms may not be what you think. It may not be age, stress, or workload, but EMF. That’s the good news because there are things you can do to reduce your EMF load. We’ve heard back from countless thousands who have reduced their EMF and/or protected themselves, and symptoms have either disappeared or reduced dramatically.
What can you do to protect yourself?
Take a look at the list of the symptoms associated with EMF, chances are good that you’re experiencing one or more issues that you’re writing off as stress or age-related, never even imagining that the technology you use may be the cause. Read the 40 symptoms in this article.
If you relate to any of these symptoms you may benefit from personal 24/7 EMF and personal energy protection with a BioElectric Shield. With our 90-day money back guarantee you have no risk, and a lot to gain.
The first step is to evaluate your exposure and sensitivity to EMF radiation. If you’re sensitive to other people’s energy and negativity, an HSP (Highly Sensitive Person) or empath, you are more likely to be sensitive to EMF.
Get a personalized recommendation when you take our Free EMF Exposure Quiz.
Once you take the quiz, you will be asked if you want the results emailed.
We recommend you take advantage of this offer to have a short report of your scores and your recommendation for full-body EMF protection. We’ll also follow through with other information and tips in our newsletter. Don’t worry; you can easily unsubscribe if no longer interested. We will never bombard you with daily emails.
You can also visit our EMF Protection store for various EMF protection solutions.
- BioInitiative Report https://bioinitiative.org/updated-research-summaries/
updated 2022 https://bioinitiative.org/category/new/
- Percent of Population Accessing Electricity Access to electricity (% of the population) | Data (worldbank.org)
- Photo courtesy of Electromagnetic Spectrum – non-ionizing vs. ionizing image: https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files/2017-05/electromagnetic-spectrum_0.png“
- Ionizing energy https://byjus.com/jee/ionization-energy/
- Ionizing energy https://www.britannica.com/science/ionization-energy
- NIH Study https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30025338/
- BioIniative Research Studies https://bioinitiative.org/updated-research-summaries/
- Reported Biological Effects from RadioFrequency Radiation at Low-Intensity-Exposure https://bioinitiative.org/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/BioInitiativeReport-RF-Color-Charts.pdf
- Naturopathic Doctor News and Review Journal https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30025338/
- Tower – EMF and the Brain https://emfcommunity.com/barrie-trower-pulsed-frequencies-dangerous-human-brain/
- Cell phones and short attention span https://www.medicinenet.com/how_do_cell_phones_affect_a_childs_brain/article.htm
- Nancy Wertheimer – EMF and Cancer Connection https://microwavenews.com/news-center/nancy-wertheimer-who-linked-magnetic-fields-childhood-leukemia-dies
- American Cancer Society https://www.cancer.org/healthy/cancer-causes/radiation-exposure/radiofrequency-radiation.html
- NIH Study EMF and Cancer in Rats https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/high-exposure-radio-frequency-radiation-associated-cancer-male-rats
- BioInitiative Summary EMF and Cancer Studies https://bioinitiative.org/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/BioInitiativeReport-RF-Color-Charts.pdf